Distracted driving describes a range of different behaviors, all with one common theme—they take the driver’s attention away from the road. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration tracks the number of fatalities caused by distracted drivers and points out that the increasing number of distracted drivers presents one of the greatest dangers on the road today.
If a careless driver injured you while texting or talking on a cell phone, or otherwise not paying attention to the road, the team of experienced car accident attorneys and legal professionals at Stewart J. Guss, Attorney at Law, will work tirelessly on your behalf to win you justice! You can reach us 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at 800-898-4877, or contact us now by CLICKING HERE. We offer a free initial consultation. Your rights are too important, so don’t wait—call now!
Common Causes of Distracted Driving Accidents
Distracted driving refers to any action that takes your attention away from the task at hand—driving safely with your full attention on the road. These days, there are so many different ways that people divert their attention from driving. Multi-tasking and sending emails in rush hour or simply looking at your phone for GPS directions can quickly result in a serious car accident. Some of the more common causes of distracted driving include:
- Sending or reading a text message
- Eating or drinking while driving
- Reading directions from a GPS unit or from your cell phone
- Changing a radio station
- Speaking on the phone
- Trying to reach for something in your car while driving
While many of these behaviors might seem like everyday actions that don’t have significant consequences, the truth is that any one of these items listed can cause a dangerous accident. If you’re in a car with a distracted driver, offer to read directions and navigate so they don’t have to, help change the music, and ask them politely to put their phone away.
What NOT to Do if You’re in an Accident Caused by a Distracted Driver
After an accident, it’s important to contact the police, assess your injuries, and see a doctor as soon as possible. While you might be familiar with some of the first steps to take after an accident, it’s equally important to understand that there are several actions that you should avoid. These include but are not limited to:
- Don’t delay medical treatment – Even if you don’t think you’re seriously injured, it’s important to see a doctor for a medical evaluation right away. Some injuries don’t show symptoms right away.
- Don’t ignore your doctor’s advice – Don’t deviate from your medical treatment plan. If you think your injuries are not improving, get a second opinion.
- Don’t post information about your accident on social media – Anything that you post on social media can potentially your hurt claim. It’s best to completely refrain from posting anything online until the resolution of your case.
- Don’t speak to insurance agents – After an accident, you will probably receive “friendly” calls from the at-fault party’s insurance agents. Avoid speaking with them. It’s common for insurance agents to attempt to record a conflicting statement that will hurt your claim. Instead, refer them to your law firm.
At our firm, we work closely with our clients and help to advise them on the behaviors that will benefit or harm their chances of receiving maximum compensation. Call us today to learn more about how we can help!
The Benefits of Working With a Car Accident Law Firm
After an accident, there are a number of ways an experienced law firm can help you navigate the claims process. One of the most significant benefits of working with a car accident law firm is that you will have someone who has a deep understanding of the legal system working to advocate for you. Our skilled legal team can help:
- Communicate directly with the insurance companies – Insurance agents are notoriously tricky, often they will attempt to collect your statement in hopes that it will damage your claim. We will speak directly with the insurance companies so that you don’t have to.
- Outline your economic and non-economic damages – One of the most important pieces in the claims process is to generate a full list of your damages. This will be critical when determining the total value of your claim. We will help you work through the obvious economic damages, such as medical bills, repairs to your vehicle, and the cost of necessary prescriptions. We will also list out your non-economic damages, which can be more challenging to establish. These might include, loss of consortium, pain and suffering, and physical disfigurement.
- Retain any expert witnesses who can help support your claim – Sometimes a claim can be supported with testimony from a medical expert. This is especially true when estimating future damages. We can help to hire any experts that will help support your claim.
- Help to keep you updated on the process – During this time you should be focused on recovering from your injuries and getting your life back. We will manage the details of your case and keep you updated as it progresses. Our team will keep track of and file paperwork on time. You can trust that your claim is in good hands when you’re working with Stewart J. Guss and his legal team!
Call Our Distracted Driving Accident Law Firm Today
When you suffer an injury from someone who was driving while distracted, you’re probably overwhelmed by the medical bills, physical therapy appointments, and rearranging your schedule to account for time off work. Your rights are important, however, and your financial settlement can make all of the difference.
Stewart J. Guss and his skilled legal team are here to help! We have worked with accident victims for more than 20 years, and we dedicate ourselves to recovering maximum compensation for our clients. Because we take all of our personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, you will not owe us a DIME unless we win your case. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so call us now at 800-898-4877 or contact us now by CLICKING HERE. Don’t delay—speak with a member of our experienced law firm today!